Branches
 
NE 
 BORDESLEY GREEN
 10
23rd
122 Bordesley Green, Birmingham, B9 4TS
021-772 0319
BG
1926
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
The opening of Bordesley Green branch is recorded by J P Hilton in his book, Britain's First Municipal Savings Bank, as follows:

These premises were formally opened as a daily branch on the 30th October, 1926, by the Right Hon. the Lord Mayor (Alderman Percival Bower). The premises were formerly used by a butcher, and were known as Nos 120 and 122 Bordesley Green. There was also a lock-up shop, No 1 Bordesley Green Road, used by a second-hand dealer, but this last-mentioned shop was demolished during the course of the alterations, the structure not lending itself to an adaptation scheme.
A large crowd, estimated by the Police at 1,500 people, had assembled to give the Lord Mayor an enthusiastic welcome. It was plain to see how popular he was in this area, and from his remarks it was equally clear that he reciprocated their good feelings. Speaking to the assembly, the Lord Mayor said he was proud to open that branch. It was the ward which sent him to the City Council; it was the ward in which he had lived for years. They and he were well known to each other. He prophesied that one of the strongest branches would be built up in that district.
Councillor Pardoe spoke in appreciative terms of the Lord Mayor's services to the city, and said he was pleased the building would now be put to better use than the purpose it originally served. He recalled that at one time it was the only pawnshop in the district, and he was happy to think that instead of people being driven to its portals by adversity they would visit it as a friend, feeling that it belonged to them.
This new branch bids fair to rival other branches, for although it has only been opened five months, it has a depositorship of 1,766, and its weekly transactions average 442.
 
Prior to the opening ceremony at the branch, tea was served to invited guests at the Bordesley Green United Methodist Schoolroom. The proceedings there were presided over by Alderman W E Lovsey, on behalf of the Bank's Committee, where in addition to the Lord Mayor, the gathering included Aldermen Gregory, Smith, and Lancaster; Councillors Baldwin-Webb, Daniels, and Kenning; Councillor and Mrs Gelling; Councillor and Mrs Salt; Councillor and Mrs Pardoe; the General Manager (J P Hilton) and his wife; Mr Hilton's deputy (Mr F Ellison) and his wife; Arthur Everall (the Bank's Committee Clerk); the Bank's Valuer (Mr F Wilde) and his wife; Mr and Mrs R Hunt; Mr Pearce (the builder of the new branch); Mr and Mrs J T Harniman; Mr and Mrs Arkworth-Ager; Mrs Stephens; Mr and Mrs J H Allen; Mr and Mrs F E Willis; Mr F R Logan; the Bank's Controller of Branches (Mr H G Wright) and his wife; Mr A H Read (Branch Manager); and Miss Powell. Alderman Lovsey presented the Lord Mayor (who was also the Bank's Chairman) with a suitably inscribed silver inkstand as a memento of the occasion. By November 30th 1926, deposit balances were 10,955.
 
Bordesley Green was one of the Bank's properties that was damaged by bombing in the Second World War. A report by the General Manager in July 1945 described the position:
The rear portion of this building was damaged during air raids, with the result that the living accommodation could not be used. The bank portion was not seriously damaged, and we have been able to carry on. It is desirable that necessary repairs should be executed so that the living accommodation can again be available, and Mr Surman  has been asked to submit proposals.
 
In February 1947, a contract was placed with F C Price (Builders) Ltd for the reconstruction work required. The cost of the work was 2,854, and the contract was overseen by John Surman (architect). A part of this cost would have been met by the War Damage Commission.
 
During part of the Second World War, the branch was one of twenty-two offices that were opened on a restricted basis due to a shortage of staff. Details at Combination of Branches.
Two views of Bordesley Green branch in 1926
2011:
The branch premises are now occupied by the
Bordesley Green Islamic Centre.
The first view (right) shows the frontage to
Bordesley Green; the second view (below) shows the side of the building in Bordesley Green Road
above:
October 30th 1926 - the official opening ceremony concludes inside the new branch. On the extreme left of the photograph is  Alderman Percival Bower (Lord Mayor and the Bank's Chairman). The Bank's General Manager, J P Hilton, is on the right of the photograph.
 
right:
The interior of the branch in 1926
Branch Deposit Balances at March 31st:
1946 - 577,665
1947 - 603,272
 
Number of Open Accounts at March 31st:
1947 - 7,667
 
Home
 
Bordesley Green, 2 miles to the east of the city centre, was a well built up area by the end of the 19th-century. The Bank found a site to service the area at the junction of Bordesley Green and Bordesley Green Road, and constructed its twenty-third permanent branch.
OpenStreetMap contributors
= location of the branch at the junction of Bordesley Green (west to east) and Bordesley Green
         Road (to the north). The Birmingham City football ground is a short distance away.
Managers:
1926 - A H Read
1928 - L H Hurdman
1929 to 1931 - R H Tafft
1934 - W J R Tooby
 
1958 to 1960 - W H Stanton
1961 - N R Barnsley
1963 to 1969 - G Hidson
1970 - S W Fairey
1971 - R M Atkins
1976 - R D Edkins
Annual Transactions
 - Year Ended March 31st 1947: 36,650
BACK TO THE TOP
Branch's Commemoration Tablet
(photo by Christine Skett)