This branch was originally entitled Bournville Works, and was established on a completely different basis from the Bank's remaining
branches as described in J P Hilton's Britain's First Municipal Savings Bank:
Soon after the establishment of the Bank on a
permanent basis, negotiations took place with Messrs Cadbury Brothers respecting the taking-over of their savings fund, established
for the benefit of their employees, which fund had been in operation for many years. It was felt that the time had arrived when this
fund might be administered as part of the machinery of the Municipal Bank. In March, 1920 it was decided that the transfer should
be effected, and with a view to causing as little disturbance of the existing arrangements as possible, it was agreed that it should
be managed by the same staff as had previously officiated.
This branch is worked on different lines to other branches of the Bank.
Departmental collectors, chosen by the employees in each department, receive contributions from their co-workers every week, and transmit
the same to the branch office at the works, the clerks checking the cash against the record books of the collectors, and confirming
the passbook entries. The ledgers are kept in the branch office, and no one has access to them other than duly appointed officials.
Withdrawals can be made either at the branch office or through the departmental collectors.
At the time it was taken over by the Bank,
Messrs Cadbury Brothers announced they would continue, until further notice, to add 1.50% interest per annum on deposits up to £60
per depositor, and would add a special bonus of 0.50% on new money saved during the year up to £30 per depositor. This public-spirited
action of the firm has had much to do with the success of the branch, and places the depositors in a favourable position. It is an
example which other employers might copy.
The branch has worked smoothly, and as instancing its popularity, it may be stated that as
at 31st March, 1921, there were 5,137 depositors, whereas at the 31st March, 1927, the depositorship had grown to 8,304. Naturally,
under a system of week by week collections the transactions do not show such a wide difference between the two dates named, the average
per week for the period ended 31st March, 1920, being 1,510, while for the year ended the 31st March, 1927, the average works out
at 1,631 per week.
The transfer of funds from the Bournville Works Savings Bank to the BMB took effect from May 1st 1920, and
different hours of opening ('Works Hours'), to those applicable to other daily branches, were followed at Bournville Works - see copy
of insert to 1938 passbook, reproduced below. For some years, the branch was administered in conjunction with the Bournville Savings
and Thrift Joint Committee.
Included within the arrangement were the employees of Cadbury's factory at Somerdale, near Bristol.
Somerdale was operated as a sub-branch of Bournville branch, but it does not appear to have attracted many depositors. A report to
the Bank Committee in 1947 gave the sub-branches' number of open accounts as 572, with balances of £37,558. The corresponding figures
for the Birmingham factory were 7,989 and £871,824.
All the costs of the branch and sub-branch were initially met by Cadbury's,
and then reimbursed by the Bank periodically. Total costs for the year ended March 31st 1947 were £2,419 of which £300 related to
the sub-branch - meaning that each £100 of Somerdale deposits cost 80 pence, compared with 24 pence for Bournville.
of the branch were appointed and employed by Cadbury's. In 1946, however, a number of these staff were made redundant by Cadbury Brothers,
and those officers were transferred to the employment of the Bank.
In the Bank's Annual Reports, Bournville was appended to the
list of branches each year as 'and at Bournville Works'. In the 1966 Report, Bournville Works was included in the alphabetical list
of branches for the first time as: 'Bournville Works, Cadbury Bros.....KINgs Norton 2000'
Following the Bank's change of status
to become a Trustee Savings Bank in 1976 (and in anticipation of the BMTSB amalgamating with the TSB of the Midlands), the special
relationship with Cadbury Brothers ceased. During 1978, the branch's name was amended to Bournville, and it became open for general
use instead of its previous status of being available exclusively to employees of Cadbury's. Alterations were then made to the premises
to improve the service to customers. The branch was now listed as being at 83 Bournville Lane, and became the Bank's 77th (and last)
permanent office to be opened.
Prior to this change of ownership, the staff at Bournville Works branch were on the payroll of
Cadbury's, but the firm was reimbursed periodically by the Bank for the salaries, plus other costs of running the branch such as rent
and utilities. Although staffing the branch was the responsibility of Cadbury's, the BMB provided holiday relief when required - one
of the benefits of doing this relief duty was obtaining access to the Cadbury staff shop where chocolates were available at reduced
Following cessation of the special relationship, the staff of Bournville was transferred to the employment of the Bank.