Branches
 
NW
NE 
 HALL GREEN
19
29th
SW
1323 Stratford Road, Birmingham B28 9HH
021-777 2350
HG
1927

The branch was constructed on the plot at 1323 Stratford Road, and was formally opened on November 12th 1927, by the Lord Mayor (Alderman A H James). The Birmingham Post reported the event:

 

The desirability of extending the powers of the Birmingham Corporation in regard to the Municipal Bank was referred to by Alderman Sir Percival Bower, chairman of the Bank Management Committee, at the opening of the new permanent branch in Stratford Road, Hall Green, on Saturday.

 

Sir Percival Bower said so far as municipal banks were concerned he had an idea that when the report of the Commission which had been considering the matter was issued it would not be very helpful. He thought the Commission were obsessed with the idea that the existing thrift societies in the country were sufficient to deal with the question of workmen’s savings, and that there was no great call, if any at all, for the extension of the principle of municipal banks. He did not wish to say anything which would have the effect of injuring existing thrift agencies; on the contrary, he wished to encourage the development of that policy. “What we do say,” added Sir Percival, “is that if trustee savings banks are allowed to function with a fuller power than they already possess, then obviously they ought to give us and others the same privilege. One of the difficulties we are suffering from in Birmingham to-day is the limitation imposed upon us by the Treasury. The time is overdue when we should encourage our depositors to go for long-dated savings.” At the present time, he continued, the whole of the £8,263,256 standing to the credit of depositors at the Municipal Bank was short-dated. The time had now arrived when a determined effort should be made to secure powers to enable depositors to allow their money to remain for extended periods at a higher rate of interest than was now paid.

 

The Lord Mayor (Alderman A H James), who formally opened the branch, said the bank was one of the most democratic institutions in the country. It was a priceless possession so far as the workers of the city were concerned. There were now forty-six branches of the bank, thirty of which were permanent. Like Sir Percival Bower, he wished to see a development of the powers vested in the management of the bank; in fact the success of the institution justified their attempt to secure those powers. They were not sought for self-aggrandisement, but in order that the public might be given added opportunities for the exercise of thrift.

 

The Lord Mayor was presented with a silver salver as a memento of the occasion.
The branch interior in 1927 - the Tablet (see below) commemorating the opening ceremony is affixed to the far wall, above the counter
The newly constructed branch in 1927
right:
The branch was officially opened by the Lord Mayor (Alderman A H James) on November 12th 1927
 
below:
This newspaper photograph shows the Lord Mayor making the new branch's first deposit
2010:
the premises now house a firm of Estate Agents
Branch Deposit Balances at March 31st:
1946 - £1,837,389
1947 - £1,905,969
 
Number of Open Accounts at March 31st:
1947 - 11,797 (Savings: 11,515; Mortgage: 282)
 
Annual Transactions
- Year Ended March 31st 1947: 85,738
 
Home
 

The hamlet of Hall Green was part of Yardley Rural District when it was absorbed into Birmingham in 1911. Situated on each side of the Birmingham to Stratford road, Hall Green is located about four miles to the southeast of the city centre, adjacent to the Shirley district of Solihull. The opening of Hall Green railway station in 1908, and a tram service from Birmingham in 1914, led to the urbanisation of the area. Private developers constructed a high proportion of the new housing; and this continued into the 1930s.

 

After searching for a suitable site for some time, a plot of freehold land fronting the Stratford Road, near to the junction of Fox Hollies Road and Highfield Road, was found in 1926. The plot measured approximately 673 square yards, and the price paid was 17s 6d per square yard (£589).

© OpenStreetMap contributors
= location of branch near to where Highfield Road and Fox Hollies Road meet the Stratford Road
Managers:
1928 - F H Whitehouse
1929 to 1931 - H B Davis
1934 - A M Hodgkins
1937 - S A Guy
 
1958 & 1959 - A Oldham
1960 to 1963 - J A Smith
1965 - H E Whitehead
1966 to 1969 - A Morgan
1970 to 1972 - G W Thomas
1974 - E G Bignell
BACK TO THE TOP
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
 
Premises