Branches
 
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
Ladywood branch was one of the Bank's original offices on September 1st 1919, operating on a part-time basis on alternating days: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The branch was worked in conjunction with Harborne, where opening days were Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The branch's location at this time was in a shop that was formerly used as a national food kitchen at 299 Monument Road, Ladywood. Business increased rapidly, and full-time, daily openings were commenced on November 3rd 1919.
 
299 Monument Road was a shop with living accommodation attached. When the Bank became tenants in 1919, they used the shop portion for the branch, but the adjoining living accommodation was severed from the commercial accommodation and was in the possession of a commercial traveller, Mr W A Jordan. The Bank desired to have the living accommodation occupied by the branch manager for security reasons, and offered Mr Jordan alternative housing at 118 Great Lister Street, Duddeston, claiming that this house would provide practically identical accommodation. Mr and Mrs Jordan claimed that Duddeston was not of the same residential character as Ladywood, and declined the move. Birmingham Corporation, on behalf of the Bank, sought in Birmingham County Court, to gain possession. Judge Ruegg, KC, found for the defendants after visiting the property in Great Lister Street and concluding that the two districts were not equally good. (The Bank had more success at Sparkbrook - see  Press Cutting.)
 
When possession eventually became available, the buildings were deemed unsuitable for the usual reconstruction project, and they were demolished in order that an attractive, purpose-designed, one-storey branch (plus a small adjoining house) could be built. During this work, the business of the branch was conducted in a wooden building located to the rear, after the original building's stabling and slaughterhouse were demolished. The City Surveyor prepared the plans for the new branch, and supervised the work, estimating the cost at 2,000.
 
Formal opening of the Bank's second (after Handsworth) entirely new building took place on June 14th 1924, with the ceremony being performed by the Lady Mayoress - Miss Williams, who was a depositor at the branch. The ceremony was also attended by Neville Chamberlain, who addressed the assembled crowd by saying that he was sure the Bank's General Manager and Chairman, from personal experience, could quote many instances of the real benefit the Bank had been to depositors who wished to draw upon their resources in time of need. He looked forward to the time when the example set by Birmingham would be followed by other towns.
 
The branch's location at the junction of Monument Road and Icknield Port Road lended itself to a street widening scheme, and the Bank gave up a portion of land during the building process for this purpose. The address was amended to 300 Monument Road.
 
In the mid-1960s, the site at the corner of Monument Road and Icknield Port Road was needed for the building of a new fire station, requiring the demolition of the branch. The branch was transferred to new premises at 218 St Vincent Street, (from December 1st 1967, 218 St Vincent Street West) Ladywood, and officially opened by the Bank's Chairman (Mrs E L Hobson) on October 8th 1965. By this time, Ladywood district's original Victorian housing had recently been replaced by tower blocks. Ladywood branch was closed on March 18th 1994, and business transferred to Broad Street branch.
left:
The newly constructed Ladywood branch and adjoining house in 1924. The second of the Bank's completely purpose-built offices, Ladywood utilised aspects in its design that had not featured in any of the previous thirteen permanent branches. The new
construction replaced the building on the same site that was used as a temporary branch, as shown above
right:
The opening ceremony at 300 Monument Road took place on June 14th 1924. Photographed on that occasion are (left to right):

   J P Hilton (General Manager)
   Thomas Williams (Lord Mayor)
   Miss Williams (Lady Mayoress)
   Neville Chamberlain
   Councillor Appleby (Chairman)
left:
Assembled crowd at the branch's official opening.
 
see Newspaper Report of the occasion
right:
Interior of branch in 1924 showing location of Commemoration Tablet
below:
218 St Vincent Street West - the branch's location from October 1965
Two photograph taken at the branch opening of the new office. Image on right includes two members of the Bank's maintenance staff:
   - 1st left: Alf Maggs
   - 3rd left: Lawrence Shaw
right:
The Bank's Chairman (Mrs E L Hobson) chats to two
lady members of staff:
    Gertrude Leedham (partly hidden), and
    Edna Woodward
 
The Commemoration Tablet on the rear wall states:
 
THE ORIGINAL LADYWOOD BRANCH WAS OPENED ON 14TH JUNE 1924 AND AS A RESULT OF REDEVELOPMENT OF THIS AREA THAT BUSINESS WAS TRANSFERRED TO THESE PREMISES WHICH WERE OPENED BY COUNCILLOR MRS E L HOBSON, JP CHAIRMAN OF THE COMMITTEE 8TH OCTOBER 1965
NE 
 LADYWOOD
28
14th
 
300 Monument Road, Birmingham
 
L
1924
From 1965:
218 St Vincent Street West, Birmingham, B16 8RP
021-454 0326
Branch Deposit Balances at March 31st:
1921 - 51,861
1926 - 174,878
1946 - 832,670
1947 - 859,115
 
Number of Open Accounts at March 31st:
1920 - 1,782
1927 - 7,467
1947 - 10,433 (Savings: 10,428; Mortgage: 5)
 
Average Weekly Transactions:
1920 - 290
1927 - 863
 
Annual Transactions - Year Ended March 31st 1947: 49,567
right:
Temporary premises  at 299 Monument Road used from 1919
 
Home
 
Just west of the city centre, Ladywood was a rural area on the fringes of Birmingham until the middle of the 19th-century. The development of the growing city then resulted in Ladywood being completely built over by the beginning of the 20th-century. These late Victorian houses largely consisted of densely occupied terraces and squalid back-to-back developments.
Managers:
1919 - H G Wright
1921 - E C Neighbour
1926 - H J Sutherland
1926 - A M Hodgkins
1928 - H E Martin
1929 to 1931 - H R B Rees
1934 - S F Jones
1958 to 1960 - (Miss) N K Pogson
1961 - S C Wilson
1963 to 1966 - F W Hearne
1967 to 1970 - N A Monk
1971 & 1972 - E A Stewart
1976 - G L Capener
OpenStreetMap contributors
= location of first permanent branch at 300 Monument Road 
= location of second permanent branch at 218 St Vincent Street West
BACK TO THE TOP