Branches
 
 
Branch Index
 
NW
NE 
 LITTLE BROMWICH
29
35th
SW
490 Bordesley Green, Birmingham B9 5PA
021-772 1530
LH
1929
 
Next Branch
 
On September 4th 1926, a part-time branch was opened at 488 Bordesley Green, in an area 2-miles to the east of Birmingham's city centre. This district (Little Bromwich), to the east of Bordesley Green and to the south of Alum Rock, was largely undeveloped before the First World War, but was developed for housing after the War, under the 'Homes Fit for Heroes' initiative.
 
The part-time branch was operated from a temporary wooden building on land leased from the City's Allotments Department. The allotments, created on the former Yew Tree Farm, was later named Bordesley Green Allotments. Opening arrangements were Mondays and Saturdays - 18:00 to 20:00.
 
Despite these limited hours, exceptional business was transacted (Deposits totalled 6,501 at November 30th 1926), and the land was transferred from the Allotments Department to the Bank so that a permanent branch could be constructed. This new building was opened by the Lady Mayoress (Mrs W Byng Kenrick) on June 8th 1929, and a report of the occasion was printed in the Birmingham Post. The official address was now  490 Bordesley Green.
 
During part of the Second World War, the branch was one of twenty-two offices that were opened on a restricted basis due to a shortage of staff. Details at Combination of Branches.
New premises: June 8th 1929
below:
Spectators assembling for the new branch's opening ceremony, which is then performed by  the Lady Mayoress
2008:
the branch now houses The Avenues Post Office,
a Dentist, and a Hair Salon.
 
The date '1928' is depicted in the roundel at the frontage's apex
below:
The Bank's Chairman (Percival Bower) and the Lady Mayoress pose on the branch's doorstep
 
Home
 
OpenStreetMap contributors
= location of branch at 490 Bordesley Green
Managers:
1929 to 1931 - R T Piper
1934 - J Hastie
1937 - L A Wright
 
1958 - N C Goddard
1959 & 1961 -G Hidson
1963 - A W Hopkins
1965 to 1970 - J L Gregg
1971 - A Radburn
1972 - J Ward
1974 - J Pardoe
below:
The branch's interior
BACK TO THE TOP
 
Premises
 
 
Plans
 
 
Statistics