979 Tyburn Road, Birmingham B24 0TJ
Pype Hayes branch commenced business on March 12th 1927, when an Evening Branch (Mondays and Saturdays 18:00 to 20:00) was opened
on land belonging to the Bank at 979 Tyburn Road. As was the practice at that time, a wooden building was used until the volume of
business justified a permanent construction. The wooden building was located on a plot of land at the corner of Tyburn Road and Kingsbury
Road purchased for £300 in November 1926 - a condition of purchase being that the Bank would erect a permanent branch within
four years. The establishment of a branch in this area of the city was in anticipation of the building of the Pype Hayes and
Birches Green Estates (four miles northeast of Birmingham's city centre), when about 1,300 houses were built between 1925 and 1929,
although the branch's later growth was strengthened by factories constructed nearby. Construction of a permanent branch did not commence
until 1931 due to uncertainty as to the site being in the prime position. During the construction of a design by Stewart Evans, the
branch was worked from a rented shop at 991 Tyburn Road.
(Note: the 1927 Annual Report lists the branch's address as 974 Tyburn Road,
but this would appear to be a printing error).
From July 31st 1931, the Saturday evening opening was switched to Fridays.
daily branch was opened on May 28th 1932 by the Lord Mayor (Alderman J B Burman).
On August 26th and September 3rd 1940
the branch sustained slight War Damage
during air raids.
During the 1970s, Pype Hayes branch administered a sub-branch at the
nearby Fort Dunlop
Three views of the new premises in 1932
May 28th 1932:
The Lord Mayor and other dignitaries gather near to the new branch, where a crowd is gathering to witness the opening
The Bank's Chairman (Councillor R R Gelling)
addresses the assembled crowd
Councillor Brosch speaking inside the branch
Branch interior in 1932
the distinctive entrance has been retained by Lloyds TSB. Kingsbury Road is to the right of the
photograph, and Tyburn Road is
behind the branch on the left.
Branch Deposit Balances at March 31st:
1946 - £687,212
1947 - £721,016
Number of Open Accounts at March 31st:
1947 - 7,878
(Savings: 7,823; Mortgage: 55)
- Year Ended March 31st 1947: 52,558
1934 - J Manners
1937 - W K Robottom
1958 - C E Harper
1959 & 1961 - H E M Forman
1963 to 1965 - G L Boden
1966 - J
1967 - J G Eyre
1970 & 1971 - R N Wilcox
1972 to 1974 - R J Fryman
= location of branch at the corner of Tyburn Road and Kingsbury Road