Branches
 
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
NW
NE 
 SHARD END
50
64th
SW
SE
38 Timberley Lane, Birmingham B34 7EH
021-747 3069
CB
1964
The Bank's 1954 Annual Report stated that To serve the growing needs of the Shard End district, and until a permanent site is acquired, arrangements have been made for the erection of a temporary Branch building at the corner of Timberley Lane and Thistledown Road. At this site opposite the Castle Cinema, and despite being temporary premises, a formal opening ceremony was held on September 27th 1954 with the Lord Mayor, Alderman J R Balmer, officiating. The 1955 Report listed the branch as a full-time daily office, with the address as 97 Thistledown Road.
 
By 1964, extra accommodation was urgently required, and new premises at 38 Timberley Lane provided greatly improved conditions for both depositors and staff. The Bank's Chairman, Mrs E L Hobson, opened the new premises on September 11th  1964.
The opening ceremony for the temporary premises at 97 Thistledown Road:
September 27th 1954
below:
The first day of business in the temporary premises. Alf Young is the cashier - he was standing in for Neville Alsop who
was on holiday. The Manager (Len Evans) was also on holiday that day - relief being provided by Norman Goddard
below:
The Commemoration Tablet
for the temporary premises
below: Permanent premises at 38 Timberley Lane
September 11th 1964: The Bank's Chairman (Mrs E L Hobson) performs the opening ceremony for the new premises, and receives a teapot as a souvenir.
Onlookers (below) include Larry Sharrard (extreme left) and the Branch's Manager, John Smith (left background)
below:
Two views of the branch interior - the stairs provided access to staff facilities and stationery storage
 
Home
 
Managers:
1954 to 1958 - L F Evans
1959 - J L Gregg
1960 to 1963 - J W Smith
1965 - J G Eyre
1966 to 1970 - W H Stanton
1971 - L J Lafford
1972 - E G Bignell
The Shard End area of Birmingham is located about 5-miles to the northeast of the city centre, with the Solihull districts of Castle Bromwich to its north, and Kingshurst to the east. The area was identified in the 1930s as being suitable for new housing that would accommodate citizens to be moved out by the clearance of inner-city slums. However, it was not until the 1950s that a very large estate was built.
OpenStreetMap contributors
= location of the permanent branch at 38 Timberley Lane
below:
The distinguished guests at the opening of the temporary premises pose for the camera - the Lord Mayor is on the right of the left photograph
BACK TO THE TOP