Branches
 
The Bank Committee reported to the City Council on January 8th  1924:
Your Committee report that the opportunity has been secured of acquiring freehold property situate at Nos 38 and 40, Spring Hill, with vacant land adjoining and behind, and a disused chapel at rear. When the matter first came to your Committee's notice, they ascertained that a portion of the property came within a street widening scheme of the Corporation. They accordingly approached the Public Works and Town Planning Committee with a view to a joint purchase for the respective purposes of the two Committees, and are pleased to report that the Public Works and Town Planning Committee agreed to co-operate with them in acquiring the property.
The premises consist of two small shops and dwelling houses, No 40 (which is a little larger than No 38) being let on an annual tenancy at a rental of 38, the tenant paying rates; No 38 being let at a weekly rental of 11s., inclusive of rates. The disused chapel standing at the rear has an assembly room of 44ft by 45ft, and a height of 17ft, wood laid floor of parquetry pattern, with heating and lighting arrangements.
Your Committee attach no importance to the shops and dwelling houses as buildings, as they are only in poor condition, but taking the site as a whole they are satisfied that the property is one which the Council should acquire in view of subsequent street widening developments, and the Public Works and Town Planning Committee concur in this view.
As a result of your Committee's negotiations, the price at which the property can be acquired has been reduced to 2,100. Your Committee having consulted a Valuer, and considered his opinion, have confidence in recommending that the property should be acquired at this sum.
It has been agreed between the two Committees that the purchase should be effected, subject to the approval of the Council, on the following terms:
    1 Such portion or portions as come within the requirements of the Public Works Department for street widening to be paid for by the
       Public Works and Town Planning Committee.
    2 The remainder of the land and premises to be paid for by the Bank.
So far as your Committee are concerned, they propose, with the approval of the Public Works and Town Planning Committee, to erect a temporary Bank on the vacant land fronting to Spring Hill, and to pay an annual sum as ground rent to that Committee. The chapel and remaining land would be retained by the Bank as a site for a permanent Bank when the widening scheme is proceeded with, using part of the chapel in such connection, or demolishing same, as may be deemed desirable after having professional advice thereon.
The approval of the Council is now asked to the purchase, the cost of which, so far as your Committee's share is concerned, will be defrayed out of the funds of the Bank.

In the event, a temporary branch was not employed, and a permanent branch was opened on July 25th 1925, by the Lord Mayor (Alderman Percival  Bower), and commenced as a full-time daily office, the Lord Mayor pointing out that the Committee were providing daily facilities straight away without working up a depositorship by means of a part-time, evening branch. The Lord Mayor impressed upon his audience that the Bank existed for the benefit of the small saver, and he pointed out the great value which attached to the Bank's home safe facility. The address of the new branch was 34 Spring Hill, Birmingham 18 (phone: EDGbaston 2503). The new premises were designed by Gerald McMichael, and the work carried out by W Sapcote & Sons at a cost of 1,389.
 
Also attending the opening ceremony was Oswald Moseley, at that time a Parliamentary candidate for the Ladywood division of Birmingham (and later the Member of Parliament for Smethwick). He warmly commended the Bank to his audience, saying that it was an excellent institution, which reflected great credit on those who had the management in their hands. He advised the people of Spring Hill to roll up and become depositors.
 
By the time of the Second World War, the former chapel premises were being used as a Billiard Hall, as the following General Manager's report dated January 16th 1943 mentions. The report also details a problem arising from the exigencies of the War.
It was reported to me on the 9th January that the iron gates across the passage leading to the Billiard Hall at the rear of our Spring Hill premises had been removed on the 6th January by Messrs W Sapcote & Sons, on the instructions of the Ministry of Works and Buildings. No notification of intended removal was served on the Bank and no receipt given for the removal. On the 11th January I called on the Ministry of Works and Buildings for an explanation. The Ministry state that a notice of intention to remove the gates was handed to someone at the Billiard Hall, and that the officials of the Ministry were not aware the gates belonged to the Bank. The Ministry further state the gates were scheduled for removal by the Birmingham Local Authority, and as they did not come within the category for which exemption could be made, they were removed. In the circumstances, owing to shortage of labour and materials, no replacement can be made. The Ministry regret the notice was not served on the Bank so that representations might have been made for retention before the gates were removed.
In all previous cases schedules have been sent by the City Surveyor and have been carefully considered by the Chairman, who has given directions in each individual case, but no reference has been made to the gates at Spring Hill.
Owing to damage done to the Billiard Hall through persons breaking into the premises about Christmas, the Police were notified and are investigating the matter. The question of security to the Bank's premises, as well as to the Billiard Hall, arises in this connection.
 
(Note: three months after this report, the City Surveyor gave his opinion that no grounds existed for the Bank objecting to the removal of the gates, and he did not consider the security of the Bank to have been impaired. Many railings etc were removed during the Second World War, ostensibly to be melted down in a morale-boosting drive to help the war effort.)
The site purchased by the Bank for the development of Spring Hill branch. The properties on the right of the photograph (Nos 38 & 40) were not used. The branch was constructed on the vacant plot on the left with access to the chapel at the rear being provided through an archway
The branch's design allowed for access to the disused chapel building via the archway on the right.
The gates were removed in 1943 to assist the War effort - the General Manager's report to the Bank Committee regarding the incident is reproduced above 
below:
the official opening on July 25th 1925
below:
the interior of the new branch
(Below Left): The Lord Mayor (Alderman Percival Bower)
speaking at a gathering prior to the opening of the
new branch: July 25th 1925. The location appears to be the disused chapel to the rear of the branch
(Below Right): The Lord Mayor and the Bank's Chairman (Councillor C T Appleby) proceeding from the old chapel to the opening ceremony at the branch 
below:
A crowd gathers outside the branch, prior to the opening ceremony
below:
The Chairman speaking at the opening ceremony -
on his right is the Bank's General Manager (J P Hilton)
NE 
 SPRING HILL
60
19th
 
34 Spring Hill, Birmingham, 18
EDGbaston 2503
 
SH
1925
From 1967:
2/6 Ladywood Middleway, Birmingham, B1 2JT
021-454 2503
 
Home
 
Managers:
1925 - G A Harling
1926 - W I Wynn
1928 - R T Piper
1929 - J Hastie
1930 - A J Smith
1931 - C Danks
1934 - P J Condon
1937 - H J T Bayliss
 
1958 - L F Dobson
1959 - L A Instone
1960 & 1961 - F C Batstone
1963 to 1965 - E B Spencer
1966 to 1970 - W H Hughes
1971 - L S Bellmore
1972 - R J Harper
The Spring Hill district - an inner city area, thickly-populated with densely built, poor quality houses dating from the last quarter of the 19th-century, on the main road from Birmingham to West Bromwich - received its BMB branch when the Bank was able, in 1924, to purchase for 2,100 a freehold site consisting of a vacant plot of land and two shops and houses, together with a large building at the rear which had formerly been used as a chapel. The shops and houses were not disturbed in creating Spring Hill branch - which was erected on the vacant land. The disused chapel was repaired and initially let on lease to the Ladywood Divisional Labour Party.
OpenStreetMap contributors
= junction of Spring Hill and Ladywood Middleway - the site of both permanent and temporary (1967) branches
below:
the Lord Mayor opens the new branch premises
below:
the Lord Mayor addresses the assembled crowd inside the branch
= location of Rotton Park branch
BACK TO THE TOP
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
 
Premises
 
 
Plans
 
In the mid-1960s, a road development scheme required the demolition of the premises, and temporary accommodation was found nearby at 2/6 Ladywood Middleway, pending relocation in the nearby Brookfields Shopping Precinct. The temporary premises at Ladywood Middleway (formerly Monument Road) were given as the branch's address in the Annual Reports from 1967 to 1971. At this date, Spring Hill branch had a very much reduced customer base, and either because of this fact, or that the Brookfields Shopping Precinct failed to materialise, the branch was closed.
 
Statistics