Branches
 
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
NW
NE 
 WELLS GREEN
(later SHELDON)
66
61st
SW
2136 Coventry Road, Birmingham B26 3JA
021-743 2389
WG
1957
The branch was subsequently transferred to a substantial, freestanding building, on the site that the Bank had originally secured in 1936. This permanent office was formally opened by the Chairman (Councillor I L Morgan) on March 15th 1957.
 
The name of the branch was amended from Wells Green to Sheldon in 1970; the new name being that used for the area locally, although Sheldon is a short distance away.
below:
new permanent premises, formally opened by the Bank's Chairman
below:
branch interior in 1957
below:
Interior, looking towards customer entrance
below:
depositors transacting business in the new premises
2008:
the branch is located in an office block (the nearest corner in the photograph) that is
used by Lloyds TSB
The ancient village of Sheldon in Warwickshire (5 miles east of the centre of Birmingham) lies just to the north of the Birmingham to Coventry highway. The part of the Sheldon parish north of that road, amalgamated with Birmingham in 1931, when the village's population was just 526. Substantial areas of private and council house building then commenced in both Sheldon and the nearby Wells Green; the latter becoming the area's shopping centre due to its location on the Coventry Road. Most of these areas were covered by housing by 1939, but more housing followed after the War, in order to accommodate people from the clearance of inner-city slum dwellings.
 
Wells Green branch was opened as a part-time office, in a temporary building, on January 3rd 1938, opening on Mondays and Fridays from 18:00 to 20:00. The address of this office was 2144 Coventry Road. In 1940 or 1941, the hours of business were extended to:
- Monday to Wednesday .... 10:00 to 15:00
- Saturday ............................ 10:00 to 16:00
Following the removal of building restrictions, a report, dated December 7th 1954, by the Bank to Birmingham City Council stated:

In January 1938, a temporary branch was opened in a wooden hut at 2144 Coventry Road, Wells Green, to provide savings facility for Sheldon on the north side of Coventry Road, and part of Solihull on the south side. The business of this branch has steadily increased, and the accommodation for the public and staff is very restricted. Now that building restrictions have been removed your committee have decided to erect a permanent branch building on this site, the cost, as estimated by the City Architect being 10,200, which will be defrayed out of the Bank's funds.
 
Year Ended
March 31st
Balances
Open
Accounts
Transactions
1938
15,139
444
1,367
1939
41,898
1,178
9,072
1940
69,719
1,816
15,622
1941
112,982
2,511
21,885
1942
178,329
3,185
26,311
1943
265,237
3,879
32,927
1944
356,271
4,439
34,708
1945
430,002
4,897
34,838
The branch appears to have become a full-time office in 1942, (however, see Combination of Branches) but was still trading from a temporary building (left). The General Manager submitted the following report to his Management Committee in July 1945:
This branch is conducted in a wooden building, and has made rapid progress. Accommodation is proving inadequate, and steps should be taken to erect a permanent building as soon as possible. Mr Surman [an architect]  has been asked to prepare a plan for a suitable building with dwelling accommodation, and in my opinion, we should press for early priority.
Figures given below show the progress which has been made at this branch:
The General Manager's reference to 'early priority' refers to the post-War restrictions on the use of building materials and labour, but permission to build a permanent branch was not obtained during the period of building restrictions. By March 31st 1946, the branch's deposit balances had grown to 480,368. The branch's statistics for the following year were:
 
 
 
 
 
Year Ended
March 31st
Balances
Open
Accounts
Transactions
1947
518,499
5,753
41,161
In September 1955, building contractors were invited to submit tenders for the construction of branch bank premises including a flat above to the City Architect, A G Sheppard Fidler. Depositors were advised that, from November 7th, business would be conducted from 16 Sheaf Lane (below).
A customer leaves the temporary premises at 16 Sheaf Lane.
 
Home
 
Managers:
1958 to 1961 - G W Thomas
1961 to 1966 - H E Forman
1967 - J W Smith
1969 to 1972 - N A Worwood
OpenStreetMap contributors
= location of permanent branch at 2136 Coventry Road
A couple of years later, the branch was demolished after the site was sold to Severn-Trent Water. The water company then utilised the site to build themselves a large office block. In accordance with the agreement with the Bank to purchase the site, a small branch area (2136 Coventry Road) was provided in a ground floor corner of the building. The photographs below (taken in February 2008) show the office block and the branch's frontage.
 
By a strange twist of fate, the site came back to the Bank in 1984. Following the amalgamation of TSB of Birmingham and the Midlands with TSB of Wales and Border Counties and North Staffordshire TSB (November 20th 1983) a large building was required to house the new Bank's Regional Administration. With Severn-Trent moving out, the TSB took over the whole building. The block was then named TSB House, but was later renamed Ariel House when it was occupied by Lloyds TSB.
below:
after the formal opening, Alderman Mrs Hyde presents a bouquet to the Lady Mayoress (Mrs J J Grogan)
BACK TO THE TOP