Branches
 
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
NW
 CASTLE VALE
 75 
71st
SW
SE
2 Castle Vale Shopping Centre, Birmingham, B35 6DX
021-747 5782
 
1970
The Castle Vale estate, located to the northeast of the city centre - near to Junction 5 of the M6 motorway, was built on the former Castle Bromwich Airfield. The old airfield was purchased by Birmingham City Council in 1959 in order to develop the site as a housing estate. The development was planned to include thirty-four tower blocks, which together with other housing, would accommodate some 20,000 people. Industrialised methods of building (which attracted a government subsidy) were used, and resulted in a very unattractive environment. The construction of shop units came later, and included the Bank's Castle Vale branch.

The business of the branch was first conducted from temporary premises at 198 Tangmere Drive, Birmingham 35, from August 7th 1967. Normal daily hours were operated. The branch was transferred to permanent premises in the Castle Vale Shopping Centre in 1970.

The formal opening of the permanent branch was performed by the Lord Mayor (Alderman Stanley Blewer) on June 18th 1970.
Exterior of the permanent branch
below (June 18th 1970):
the Lord Mayor performs the branch opening ceremony,
watched by the Bank's Superintendent of Branches - Cecil Selwyn
and then opens an account for a young depositor, observed by the Branch Manager (David Wilkinson - on left);
the Bank's Chairman (D K Rowe-Ham - with folded arms); and the Bank's General Manager (Stanley Guy)
below:
interior of branch
 - staff side of counter, far cashier: Graham Capener
customer side of counter
 
 
Home
 
Managers:
1967 - R F Lovell
1969 - M J Smith
1970 & 1971 - D J Wilkinson
1972 - N E Jackson
1973 - L D Webber
1976 - J G Bayes
OpenStreetMap contributors
= approximate location of the permanent branch
BACK TO THE TOP