Branches
 
 
Home
 
Land and Buildings Purchased for Branch Purposes
 
 
Premises
 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: October 8th 1928

 

1320 The following communication from the General Purposes Committee with regard to building sites for corporate purposes was submitted:

 

October 3rd, 1928

Dear Sir,

Building Sites for Corporate Purposes

The General Purposes Committee have recently had under consideration questions arising upon the position created between a purchasing committee and the Public Works and Town Planning Committee where the latter Committee require a certain portion of the area acquired for road improvement or highway purposes. The following principle was ultimately agreed, and as it is of general application I am instructed to send a copy for your information and guidance:

 

"That where a Council Committee buy sites in undeveloped or town planned areas they must conform to the set building lines as other owners, land being taken for highway purposes being paid for by the Public Works and Town Planning Committee, the purchasing Committee meeting the usual charges under the appropriate Town Planning Scheme, but where sites are bought in development areas and the building line is set back to enable a road improvement to be made on a rebuilding, the Public Works and Town Planning Committee shall pay for the area outside the building line required for the road improvement."

 

Yours faithfully,

W S Body

Clerk to the General Purposes Committee .

 

The Sub-Committee were informed that, arising out of this matter, negotiations were proceeding with the City Surveyor with a view to deciding on the amount to be paid for land taken over by the Public Works Department.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: December 10th 1928

 

LAND AND BUILDINGS

 

Report of General Manager on Land and Buildings purchased for Branch Bank purposes,

and the available use of such Land and Buildings.

________________________________________

 

Since the meeting of the Bank Committee on the 15th October 1928, I have gone fully into the question of land and buildings purchased by the Bank Committee, and the available use to which such land and buildings have been or can be put, and have discussed the matter with the City Surveyor.

 

The circumstances relating to the different purchases vary so much that I feel it necessary to set out the position in respect of each purchase, except in a few cases where the circumstances are approximately the same.

 

The following premises, which were purchased and adapted for Bank purposes, have no forecourts, and after alterations the buildings remain in line with adjoining buildings:

 

1505-1507 Pershore Road, Stirchley

155-157-159 Dudley Road

2-4 Soho Hill

117 Great Lister Street

99-101 Aston Road North

22-24 High Street, Aston

1111 Warwick Road, Acocks Green

___________________________

 

In the following cases premises were purchased with an open forecourt, and after alterations the buildings remain in line with adjoining buildings:

161-163 Stratford Road, Sparkbrook

Forecourt

63 sq yds

523-525 Bristol Road, Selly Oak

"

15      "

154 Alum Rock Road, Sa

"

18     "

174-176 Alcester Road, Moseley

"

14      "

1176 Coventry Road, Hay Mills

"

33      "

283 High Street, Harborne

"

35      "

                                                                                           ___________________________

  

In the following cases premises without forecourts were purchased and the buildings demolished; new buildings have been erected in line with adjoining buildings:

 

410 Nechells Park Road

228 Witton Lane

                                                                                          ___________________________

 

116 Villa Road, Handsworth.

 

There is an open forecourt of 13 square yards; the Bank building is in line with No 118 Villa Road, and is 3' 9" further back than No 114 Villa Road, but the City Surveyor informs me that the Bank is now a little in front of the building line.

___________________________

 

526-528 Moseley Road.

 

There is an open forecourt of 33 square yards; the Bank building is in line with No 530 Moseley Road, and 6-ft. further back than No 524 Moseley Road, but there was no set-back in connection with the alterations.

___________________________

 

479 Coventry Road, Small Heath.

 

Before alterations to the building took place there was an enclosed forecourt of 59 square yards. This was flagged level with the footpath, and the public now have access across the forecourt which remains the property of the Bank. A strip 7-ft. wide and 17-ft. long with dwarf walls on each side, and forming the approach to the house remains.

___________________________

 

1 Pelham Road, Alum Rock.

 

The original forecourts and gardens, representing 124 square yards, have been enclosed with dwarf walls and railings and the grounds planted with shrubs. The Bank building remains in line with adjoining buildings. No portion of the forecourt will be required for road widening purposes.

___________________________

 

482 Stratford Road, Sparkhill.

 

The original forecourts, representing 57 square yards, have been enclosed with dwarf walls and railings, and the grounds planted with shrubs. The Bank building remains in line with adjoining buildings.

___________________________

 

122 Bordesley Green.

 

The butcher's shop fronting to Bordesley Green, and some two-storey shopping fronting Bordesley Green Road, were demolished and the land upon which they stood, as well as the garden in front of the house, representing in all 145 square yards, has been enclosed with dwarf walls and railings, and the grounds planted with shrubs. A range of stabling at the rear was also demolished. The Bank building is in line with buildings in Bordesley Green Road, but is 17-ft. further back than adjoining buildings in Bordesley Green.

 

By enclosing the forecourts the matter has been settled for the present, but when street widening does take place involving this property the buildings which were originally on the site will have to be taken into consideration. The Bank's Valuer has already furnished the Committee with his valuation of the demolished buildings and site thereof, together with the land forming the forecourts.

___________________________

 

206 Rookery Road, Handsworth.

 

The shop portion of the building was demolished and the land upon which it stood, as well as the garden in front of the house, representing 60 square yards, has been flagged level with the footpath, and the public now has access across the forecourt which remains the property of the Bank, and will not be required for widening purposes. The Bank building is 7' 11" further back than the Co-operative Society building on one side and 10" in front of the house No 208 Rookery Road. In the course of the alterations the building was brought forward 5-ft. at one point, and set back in another part, so as to get a straight line, and is now in accordance with the building line. 

___________________________

 

684 Washwood Heath Road.

 

The land in front of the building, representing 67 square yards, has been flagged level with the footpath, and the public now have access across the forecourt which remains the property of the Bank, and will not be required for widening purposes. The Bank building is 3' 6" further back than the adjoining buildings.

___________________________

 

73 High Street, Kings Heath.

 

The original buildings were demolished and a new building erected to the prescribed building line. The Public Works Department have agreed to purchase 147 square yards of land between the front of the Bank and the footpath. This leaves a forecourt of 31 square yards.

___________________________

 

300 Monument Road.

 

The buildings on the site were demolished and a one-storey Bank erected fronting Monument Road and Icknield Port Road, with a dwelling house fronting to Icknield Port Road. There is a forecourt. The Public Works Department purchased a small portion of land which was taken into the public footpath to round off the corner, certain land at the rear which was surplus to the Bank's building requirements, and the land upon which two adjoining shops, Nos 301 and 302 Monument Road, stand. The one-storey Bank will disappear with the widening of Monument Road.

___________________________

 

161 Sherlock Street.

 

The original leasehold premises had no forecourt. The buildings have been demolished, and a new building has been erected. The Public Works Department purchased 88 square yards of the land which will ultimately be required for widening Sherlock Street. A new lease for the remainder of the land, comprising 154 square yards, was granted to the Bank, and the main structure of the new building is upon 88 square yards of land belonging to the Public Works Department, and will be in line with adjoining buildings.

___________________________

 

34 Spring Hill.

 

The one-storey building was erected on vacant land, and is in line with the adjoining building; there is no forecourt. This building will disappear when Spring  Hill widening takes place.

___________________________

 

1323 Stratford Road, Hall Green.

 

The new building conforms to the prescribed building line and the Town Planning Scheme. There is a forecourt representing 93 square yards, which has been flagged level with the footpath, and the public now have access across the forecourt which remains the property of the Bank and will not be required for widening purposes.

___________________________

 

701 Bristol Road South, Northfield.

 

The new building projects in front of the prescribed building line, but has been so constructed as to admit of adjustment when the widening of Bristol Road South takes place. There is a forecourt of 30 square yards which has been flagged level with the footpath. The City Surveyor is prepared to pay for a strip representing 10 yards, which has been thrown into the public footpath, if desired.

___________________________

 

293 Birchfield Road.

 

The building has been erected to the prescribed building lines. The land forming the forecourt fronting Birchfield Road, representing 110 square yards, will be purchased by the Public Works Department. The land forming the forecourt fronting The Broadway has been enclosed with a dwarf wall and railings, and the ground planted with shrubs.

___________________________

 

1052 Pershore Road, Selly Park.

 

The building has been erected to the prescribed building lines. The Public Works Department purchased 829 square yards of land in front of the Bank, but there is an open forecourt of 52 square yards on the Dog Pool Lane side which will not be required for widening purposes.

___________________________

 

162 Soho Road.

 

The building was erected to the prescribed building lines, and stands on the whole of the land purchased by the Bank. There is no forecourt.

___________________________

 

154 Gravelly Hill North, Erdington.

 

The building was erected to the prescribed building lines. The Bank purchased from the Public Works Department 994 square yards, with the intention of developing the site. The Bank and yard stand upon 241 square yards. There is a forecourt round the Bank building of 70 square yards which has been flagged and thrown into the footpath. On a portion of the remaining land fronting Wood End Lane, representing 555 square yards, public lavatories have been erected. It is desirable that the Public Works Department should repurchase this land, as the Bank cannot now make use of the land as was originally intended.

___________________________

 

170 Fosbrooke Road, Small Heath.

 

The building now being erected will conform to the prescribed building lines. There will be a forecourt of 340 square yards.

___________________________

 

499 Bordesley Green.

 

The building now being erected will conform to the prescribed building lines. There will be a forecourt of 40 square yards, which, according to the plans, will be enclosed with a dwarf wall and railings, and the ground planted with shrubs.

___________________________

 

177 Sandon Road, Bearwood.

 

This building has not been adapted for the needs of a permanent Branch owing to its peculiar shape and limited accommodation. With the object of providing proper banking facilities to cover this district, land in Sandon Road has been bought in conjunction with the Tramways Department. The erection of the necessary building has been suspended until the decision of the Arbitrator on the objections lodged by residents on the Estate is made known.

___________________________

 

797-799-801 Stratford Road.

 

These buildings will shortly be reconstructed. There is no forecourt and the buildings will remain in line with adjoining buildings.

___________________________

 

36-38 Bristol Street.

 

Plans are being prepared for reconstructing these premises. There is no forecourt.

___________________________

 

5 & 7 Wheeler Street.

 

These buildings will shortly be reconstructed. There is no forecourt.

___________________________

 

In the following cases land has been purchased, but building operations are not yet contemplated. The building lines are prescribed and any new erection will have to conform thereto. The total area is given below, and the area which will constitute the forecourt:

 

979 Tyburn Road, Erdington.                   Land purchased       550 sq. yards

                                                                       Forecourt                   245 "       "

 

87 Witton Lodge Road, Erdington.           Land purchased      548 sq. yards

                                                                       Forecourt                   93  "        "

 

177 Station Road, Stechford.                   Land purchased       600 sq. yards

                                                                       Forecourt                   140 "       "

 

292 Brookvale Road, Erdington.               Land purchased      900 sq. yards

                                                                       Forecourt                   375 "       "

 

 

November 5th 1928

 

BACK TO THE TOP