Branches
 
 
Home
 
 
Premises
 
 
Sandwell
 
Premises - Sandwell
 
The following Minutes have been extracted from the records
of the Bank's General Committee and its Sub-Committees.
 
The Minutes cover the period from October 1924 to March 1934.

General Purposes Sub-Committee: October 14th 1924

 

The General Manager presented the following Report with reference to various properties to which his attention had been drawn and his actions in regard thereto.

 

Property 127 Holyhead Road.

 

Negotiations have been opened with a view to securing this property. Councillor Appleby and Councillor Cooper visited the site some time ago, and agreed that a Branch in this area was desirable. The negotiations are not advances sufficiently to report upon them.

 

595 RESOLVED:- That the action of the General Manager be confirmed and that he be authorised to continue negotiations in regard to property No 127, Holyhead Road.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: March 9th 1925

 

On Minute No 595 (127, Holyhead Road), the General Manager reported that Mr F Wilde had made enquiries with reference to this property. An offer had been made by Mr Smallwood, the owner, to lease the same for a period of 7 years at a rental of 100 per annum with option to renew for 7 years at 125 per annum, and for an additional 7 years at 150 per annum, also with an option to purchase the freehold premises No 129, Holyhead Road for the sum of 2,000.

 

A report was submitted from Mr Wilde containing particulars of his negotiations and a description of the property.

 

The Sub-Committee were of the opinion that the terms asked were too high, and that the property was not in the most favourable situation for Bank requirements. Mr Councillor Appleby stated that in his opinion the best situation for a Branch in this neighbourhood would be at the corner of Crocketts Road and Holyhead Road, and as it was possible that the Public Works Department might require to make some improvement at this corner, he suggested that they should be approached with a view to the Bank co-operating with them in that event in the purchase of property at this point for their respective requirements.

 

686     RESOLVED:- That the course indicated by the Chairman of the General Committee be approved, and the General Manager be instructed to approach the Public Works Department accordingly.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: April 6th 1925

 

On Minutes Nos 595 and 686 (property - 129 Holyhead Road) the General Manager reported that he had been approached by the owner asking on what terms the Bank Committee would be prepared to rent the premises. As the Sub-Committee had, however, decided that these premises were not in a suitable position for Bank requirements, the General Manager was directed to take no action in the matter.

 

709     RESOLVED:- That Minutes Nos 595 and 686 be placed in the deferred Minute Book, pending an opportunity arising for a joint scheme to be entered into with the Public Works and Town Planning Committee.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: October 14th 1929

 

The following report of the General Manager with regard to a site in Holyhead Road was submitted:

 

Land - Holyhead Road, Handsworth.

 

The Chairman and Councillor Cooper have inspected two plots of land fronting Holyhead Road, Handsworth, which were offered for sale, with a view to providing a branch of the Bank in the Sandwell Ward, near to the New Inns, which has not yet been served by any provisions which the Committee have made.

 

At the same time an empty shop was noticed and enquiries made about it, and a proposal to purchase other shopping premises also considered.

 

The rental asked for the empty shop was so exorbitant and the accommodation so limited that no further consideration was possible, and as regards the other shopping premises it was felt unwise to consider purchase owing to the levels and general construction of the property and the fact that the site was not such a good one.

 

The first plot of land belongs to and adjoins the Birmingham Co-operative Society; the second plot of land belongs to Mr Smallwood, who would be an unwilling seller and places an absurd price on the land.

 

The Chairman and Councillor Cooper were both convinced that the surplus land which the Birmingham Co-operative Society had for disposal would suit our requirements, and Mr Wilde was instructed to commence negotiations for the purchase. There are approximately 668 square yards, with a frontage to Holyhead Road of 23 yards and to Clarence Road of 35 yards. The price required for the land is 32/6d. per square yard, which is the lowest figure the Society will accept, and the Chairman has requested Mr Wilde to get an option to purchase on these terms covering the period when the Committee may have the matter before them.

 

Both the Chairman and Councillor Cooper feel that we may close with the Co-operative Society on the terms mentioned, although they would naturally have preferred to affect the purchase at a lower figure. For many years we have been on the look-out for a site in this area, and promise after promise has been made to residents in the district to provide them with a branch bank, and it is not thought advisable to delay the matter any longer.

 

1438  RESOLVED:- That the foregoing report be approved, and that the General Committee be recommended to authorise the purchase of 668 square yards of land at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road at the price of 32/6d. per square yard, subject to the approval of the City Council, with the object of proceeding as soon as possible with the erection of a branch Bank thereon.

 

(Note: The Chairman (Councillor Poole) did not vote on the foregoing resolution).

 

 

Bank Committee: October 21st 1929

 

The following report of the General Purposes Sub-Committee was presented:

 

Site -Holyhead Road, Handsworth.

 

It has long been realised that the need exists for a branch of the Bank in that part of Handsworth covered by the area from Booth Street to the City boundary, and after inspection of two plots of land fronting Holyhead Road, and two separate buildings, your Sub-Committee recommend that the purchase of a site of 668 square yards of land at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road from the Birmingham Co-operative Society, at a price of 32/6 per square yard, be agreed to, subject to the approval of the City Council; and that as soon as possible steps be taken to erect a branch bank thereon.

 

3524   RESOLVED:- That, subject to the confirmation of the City Council, the purchase of a site of 668 square yards of land at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road from the Birmingham Co-operative Society at the price of 32/6 per square yard be approved, and that steps be taken as soon as possible for the erection of a branch bank thereon, also that the Town Clerk be instructed to enter into any required Agreement, affixing the Corporate Seal thereto where necessary.

 

Report to the City Council: December 3rd 1929

 

PURCHASE OF LAND AT HOLYHEAD ROAD, HANDSWORTH

 

Your Committee are anxious to fulfil their expressed intention to provide a branch Bank to serve the district running from Booth Street to the City boundary. Efforts have been made for the last six years to secure a suitable site or building for the purpose, but until recently negotiations have not been successful.

 

An opportunity has now arisen, however, of securing a plot of land comprising 672 square yards, fronting to Holyhead Road and Clarence Road. This land belongs to the Birmingham Co-operative Society, who have now agreed to sell the land to the Bank at the price of 32s. 6d. per square yard, which price compares very favourably with the price asked for other land in the immediate vicinity.

 

Having regard to the commanding position of this site, and the claims of the residents in the area to branch Bank facilities, your Committee ask the Council to sanction the purchase of a suitable building thereon, the cost of the land and building to be defrayed out of the funds of the Bank.

 

It was moved by Alderman Sir Percival Bower, seconded, and Resolved:

29,372. That the proposal to purchase 672 square yards of land fronting Holyhead Road and Clarence Road, Handsworth, from the Birmingham Co-operative Society at the price of 32s. 6d. per square yard, such land being required as a site for the Branch Bank, be approved and confirmed, and that the Committee be, and are hereby, authorised to accept a tender for the erection of a Branch Bank thereon, the cost of the land and building being defrayed out of the funds of the Bank.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: December 13th 1929

 

With reference to the proposed Branch at New Inns on the site acquired by the Bank at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road, Handsworth, it was:

 

1472   RESOLVED:- That Mr Keyte, Architect, be invited to submit scheme and plans for the erection of a branch bank on this site.
 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: January 20th 1930

 

As the result of negotiations, the Electric Supply Committee are agreeable to take over approximately half the area of this land at the price per yard paid by the Bank, namely 32/6d. per square yard, plus a share of the costs involved in the purchase. Your Sub-Committee recommend that such land be transferred to the Electric Supply Department on the terms named, subject to the approval of the City Council.

 

It is understood that the Electric Supply Department are also prepared to collaborate in the preparation of plans and the erection of suitable buildings on the site.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: February 10th 1930

 

The General Manager reported that the tenancy agreement in respect of the hoarding on the Bank site at the corner of Holyhead and Clarence Roads was determinable on three months' notice or, under certain conditions, on four weeks' notice being given, and it was:

 

1561   RESOLVED:- That the General Manager be instructed, in consultation with the Architect, to give such notice to determine the tenancy as will admit of the hoarding remaining on the land until the site is required by the builder.

 

Report of the Town Clerk: February 14th 1930

 

I have to report that in accordance with the above Minute I have completed the purchase from the Birmingham Co-operative Society Ltd, of a piece of land at Holyhead Road and Clarence Road, Handsworth, for the sum of 1,092.

 

I have in addition to the purchase money paid the stamp duty on the Conveyance amounting to 11. 0. 0.

 

Bank Committee: March 17th 1930

 

3702 The following report and supplemental report of the General Purposes Sub-Committee were presented:

 

Erection of Premises at New Inns.

 

Your Sub-Committee have considered plans prepared by Mr Keyte (Architect) for the erection of proposed bank premises at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road, Handsworth. The estimated cost of the building is between 3,500 and 3,750, according to whether natural stone or reconstructed stone is utilised, the scheme to include a flat and the provision of a concrete floor over the Bank premises.

 

Your Sub-Committee have directed Mr Keyte to submit for the information of your Committee at their Meeting the alternative costs of the facade being constructed of natural stone as compared with reconstructed stone; also to consider and report whether any reduction can be made in respect of the flat accommodation over the bank.

 

Hoarding on Site at corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road.

 

Your Sub-Committee recommend that the Town Clerk be instructed to determine the tenancy of the hoarding station on this land as from a date to be decided by the Architect, having regard to the progress of the building work.

 

With  reference to the paragraph as to the erection of premises at New Inns, the General Manager stated that Mr Keyte, Architect, after making allowance for minor modifications to the flat accommodation, was of the opinion that the estimated cost of the Bank premises if constructed of natural stone would be 3,800 as compared with an approximate amount of 3,500 if reconstructed stone is utilised.

 

3703   RESOLVED:- That the General Manager be directed to instruct the Architect to arrange for reconstructed stone to be utilised for the erection of Bank premises at New Inns, and that the plans submitted, as revised, be approved; also that the General Manager be instructed to advertise for tenders for the carrying out of the work.

 

3706   RESOLVED:- That the Town Clerk be instructed to determine the tenancy of the hoarding station on the land acquired by the Bank at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road, Handsworth, as from a date to be decided by the Architect having regard to the progress of the building of Bank premises on the site.
 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: April 14th 1930

 

On Minutes Nos 1472 and 1506 (Proposed Branch at New Inns) the Sub-Committee were informed that plans had now been approved by the Public Works &c. Committee and that tenders would shortly be invited for the necessary buildings. It was thereon:

 

1521  RESOLVED:- That the Chairman of the General Committee with the General Manager be empowered, in conjunction with the Chairman of the Electric Supply Committee and the Commercial Manager to accept the tender or tenders for the necessary buildings.

 

Finance & General Purposes Sub-Committee: June 16th 1930

 

The following Minutes of the City Council, passed on the 3rd instant were received:

 

It was moved by Alderman Sir Percival Bower, seconded, and Resolved:

 

29,718. That the proposed transfer of approximately 349 square yards of land at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road, Handsworth, from the Bank Committee to the Electric Supply Committee be approved.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: July 14th 1930

 

On Minutes Nos 1472/1506/1521 the General Manager reported that owing to an alteration in the plan for the Electric Supply Department building on the site at New Inns, the Architect was not yet ready for advertisements to be issued inviting tenders. He was doubtful whether such tenders could be obtained before the vacation.

 

1559  RESOLVED:- That the Chairman of the General Committee and the Chairmen of the three Sub-Committees with the General Manager be empowered, in conjunction with representatives of the Electric Supply Committee, to accept a tender for the joint building scheme on the site at the corner of Holyhead Road and Clarence Road.

Continued ....
BACK TO THE TOP
 
Home
 
 
Premises
 
 
Sandwell
 
The residents of the western part of Handsworth having petitioned the Bank to provide facilities in their area, a site at a reasonable cost was eventually found in 1929. The architect firm of Collier and Keyte were contracted to erect a building shared with the Electric Supply Department that was opened on July 18th 1931