Branches
 
Premises - Yardley
 
The following Minutes have been extracted from the records
of the Bank's General Committee and its Sub-Committees.
 
The Minutes cover the period from March 1925 to October 1939.
 
Home
 
 
Premises
 
 
Yardley
 
The Bank purchased a large plot of land at the corner of Church Road and Hobmoor Road in the anticipation of residential development planned for the area. An Evening Branch was opened in a wooden building in July 1930 and following good progress of the branch a permanent branch was opened on May 12th 1933. The Architect was John Surman who made the best use of the available space to create a building of pleasant appearance that incorporated adequate banking facilities, plus two shops and flats.

General Purposes Sub-Committee: March 9th 1925

 

699     The General Manager reported that the Estates Department had drawn his attention to premises in Church Road, Yardley, but the same not been considered suitable for the requirements of the Bank, no action was taken in the matter.

 

Special meeting of Bank Committee: May 18th 1926

 

The General Manager stated that his attention had been called to certain land at Yardley which appeared likely to be suitable for Bank requirements, and it was:

 

2372  RESOLVED:- That the matter be referred to Councillors Salt and Wright with the General Manager to inspect the site and report their observations to the General Purposes Sub-Committee in due course.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: May 16th 1927

 

Sites at Yardley and Tyseley.

 

Your Sub-Committee have been in consultation with the City Surveyor regarding sites to which he had drawn attention as being available for the purposes of the Bank. Having regard to building developments in progress or contemplated in both these areas, your Sub-Committee recommend that steps be taken to obtain the transfer of sufficient land for Branch Bank purposes, on terms to be agreed between the Committee concerned and subject to the approval of the City Council. The situations of the sites recommended for transfer are as follows:

 

1 Yardley - Land at junction of Church Road, Hobmoor Lane, Stoney Lane and Yew Tree Lane.

 

2 Tyseley - Land in Warwick Road, between Reddings Lane and Knights Lane

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: June 13th 1927

 

With reference to proposed branch at Yardley the General Manager reported that the Town Planning Sub-Committee were recommending the Public Works & Town Planning Committee to transfer 780 square yards of land at the junction of Church Road and Hobmoor Road to the Bank as a site for a branch at a price to be agreed upon and subject to the approval of the City Council.

 

1131  RESOLVED:- That subject to the General Manager being satisfied that the whole of the area in question will be required by the Bank the proposal be agreed to.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: July 11th 1927

 

On Minute No 1131 (Site at Yardley), the Sub-Committee were informed that the City Surveyor had intimated that, having regard to the proposals of the Public Works & Town Planning Committee with regard to road widening, it was necessary that the Bank should take over the area of 780 square yards.

 

1146  RESOLVED:- That the General Manager be instructed to apply to the Estates Department for the transfer of the land in question and that he also be authorised to negotiate with the City Surveyor on the question of terms in respect of the land to be eventually thrown into the road for widening purposes.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: October 10th 1927

 

1160   On Minute Nos 1131 and 1146 (Site at Church Road, Yardley) the General Manager stated that the area of the land in question had now been determined by the Public Works Department at 708 square yards and the Estates Department was now in communication with the District Valuer on the matter.

 

Bank Committee: November 28th 1927

 

Report on Land at Yardley

 

The Chairman, with other members of the Bank Committee and representatives of the Public Works Committee and Department, has visited the site proposed to be used for a Branch Bank at the junction of four roads and near to Yew Tree Lane, and as a result the City Surveyor was instructed to submit his plans for such a building.

 

It now transpires that vacant possession of the site has now been obtained and from correspondence which the General Manager has had with the Public Works Department and Estates Department it is ascertained that the tenant, Mr Thomas Downes, has this land with a residence, outbuildings, gardens and small paddock on a yearly tenancy at a rental of 58 per annum, plus rates. The tenant contends he is entitled to six months' notice from Lady Day and while he would be willing to meet the Corporation, provided a proportionate reduction is made in his rent for the land taken from his tenancy, he is unable to move until he has found other suitable occupation.

 

Having regard to previous difficulties where vacant possession has not been secured and to the fact that a Branch at this spot is not an urgent necessity, the General Manager cannot recommend the Committee to purchase the land until it can be transferred free of any restrictions and in such a way as to present no difficulties in dealing with the site.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: December 13th 1927

 

On Minute Nos 1131/1146 (Site at Yardley) it was:

 

1182   RESOLVED:- That the question of erecting a Branch Bank at Yardley be deferred until the Corporation take full possession of the property.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: February 13th 1928

 

Site at Yardley.

 

1232   On Minutes Nos 1131 and 1146 it was reported that the City Surveyor had prepared a plan showing his proposals for a Bank on this site, but inasmuch as vacant possession had not been given of the whole of the site the Bank Committee had decided not to proceed with the erection of a Branch Bank until the whole area could be dealt with; and consideration of the plans was deferred.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: March 12th 1928

 

1248   On Minutes Nos 1131/1146 (Site at corner of Church Road, Yardley) the Sub-Committee were informed that Alderman Sir Percival Bower after seeing the plan was of opinion that the matter should be held over until the question of inter-departmental land transfers is settled by the General Purposes Committee. The Minutes were accordingly continued.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: May 14th 1928

 

On Minutes Nos 1131/1146 and 1186/1233 the Sub-Committee gave further consideration to the question of acquisition by the Bank of the following sites:

 

(a) Land at the corner of Hobmoor and Church Roads having an area of 708 square yards.

(b) Land in Olton Boulevard West having an area of approximately 890 square yards.

 

It was pointed out that as both these sites were in Town Planning areas it was improbable that any amount could be recovered in respect of the land scheduled for road improvement purposes and which could not therefore be built upon, but the General Purposes Committee still had under consideration the whole question of the terms in respect of inter-departmental transfers of land in relation to road improvements.

 

The Sub-Committee further considered the desirability of acquiring the sites in view of the frontage lines which had been prescribed, but having regard to the favourable position of the sites and the building developments which were taking place in these localities, they were of opinion that the transfers should be processed with, and it was accordingly:

 

1260   RESOLVED:- That the General Committee be recommended to agree to the transfer of the sites in question on terms to be agreed between the Bank's Valuer and the District valuer, this Sub-Committee being of opinion that the circumstances attaching to each plot of land are such as to justify a lower price per yard being charged than hitherto paid for Corporation houses, viz - 15/- per square yard.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: May 21st 1928

 

Sites at Yardley and Tyseley.

 

Your Sub-Committee have given careful consideration to the question of the acquisition by the Bank of the following sites, which are owned by the Corporation, by way of transfer from the Estates Committee:

 

(a) Land at the corner of Church Road and Hobmoor Road having an area of approximately 708 square yards.

 

(b) Land in Olton Boulevard West having an area of approximately 890 square yards.

 

Your Sub-Committee would point out that both these sites are in Town Planning Areas and in each case the road improvement lines and the building lines have been prescribed, with the result that substantial portions of the sites cannot be utilised for building purposes. As your Committee are aware, the question of land taken over by the Committees of the Corporation in relation to the requirements for road widening etc is at present receiving the attention of the General Purposes Committee, but your Sub-Committee are informed that as these plots of land are not required for road-widening purposes they are not affected by the question under consideration by that Committee.

 

Your Sub-Committee, after giving full consideration to all the circumstances, are still of opinion that it is desirable that effect should be given to the previous decision of the Bank Committee to purchase both plots of land for future Bank requirements, especially having regard to the favourable situation of the land in both cases and to the building developments which are taking place in these localities.

 

They therefore recommend your Committee to proceed with the transfer on terms to be agreed between the Bank's Valuer and the District Valuer, your Sub-Committee being of opinion that the circumstances attaching to each plot of land are such as to justify a lower price per yard being charged than that hitherto paid for Corporation sites viz: 15/- per square yard.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: July 9th 1928

 

1294   The General Manager reported that he had received from the General Manager of the Estates Department a revised plan of the site at the corner of church Road and Hobmoor Road, Yardley.

 

It appeared that it would be necessary to accept the valuation of the District Valuer, who was at present on holiday, and consideration of the matter was deferred.

 

Bank Committee: July 16th 1928

 

Land at Church Road, Yardley.

 

The Chairman, together with Councillor Gelling and the General Manager, paid a special visit to the land in Church Road, Yardley, which it was proposed should be purchased from the Estates Committee.

 

This land comprises 708 square yards and was valued by the District Valuer at 650, and Mr Wilde, on behalf of the Bank, valued the same at 531.

 

As there was a difference between the two Valuers the case was referred to the Lord Mayor to determine. The Lord Mayor has conferred with officials of the Estates and Bank Committees, when it was found that the consent of the Ministry of Health to transfer would be necessary, and that they would not accept any other valuation than that of the District Valuer. This being so, Mr Wallace Smith, General Manager of the Estates Department, undertook to see the District Valuer again on the matter, with the result that he had agreed to recommend a price of 600, but he will not further reduce his figure.

 

The set back in this case is not serious; there is only 10ft at the front each side, so that the land which would be available for Bank purposes would be quite satisfactory.

 

The Chairman and Councillor Gelling do not consider that there is at the moment a sufficient density of population to justify the erection of a Bank on this site, but on the other hand they recognise that the site occupies a valuable corner position, and that looking to the future development of this area, they feel it their duty to recommend the Bank Committee to approve the purchase of the land at 600, and that the land should be held by the Bank Committee until it is considered prudent to proceed with a building. The General Manager is in agreement with these views.

 

3152   RESOLVED:- That this Committee approve the terms of transfer to the Bank of the site at the corner of Church Road and Hobmoor Road, in accordance with Minute No 3092, at the price of 600, and they further record their appreciation of the services rendered by the Right Hon The Lord Mayor in connection with this matter.

 

General Purposes Sub-Committee: October 8th 1928

 

On Minute No 1294 (Site - corner of Church Road and Hobmoor Road), the following report of the General Manager was submitted:

 

Land at Yardley

 

The Committee will remember that it was proposed to transfer an area of land comprising 708 square yards from the Estates Committee to the Bank Committee, but agreement could not be reached on the question of price. The District valuer placed a value of 650 on the land, whereas Mr Wilde, on behalf of the Bank Committee, placed the value at 531. A conference was held under the chairmanship of the Lord Mayor, and as a result the District Valuer was again approached with a view to a reduction in his valuation.

 

The District Valuer has now agreed to reduce his value to 600, which valuation the Bank Committee are asked to accept.

 

The Public Works Committee who originally purchased the land for town planning purposes, have agreed to the transfer of the land at the price of 600.

 

It is now recommended that the Estates Department be informed that the Bank are agreeable to the transfer at the price of 600.

 

1308   RESOLVED:- That the foregoing report be approved, and the Bank Committee having already intimated their agreement to the transfer at the sum of 600, the Estates Department be informed accordingly.

 

Bank Committee: October 15th 1928

 

On Minute No 3152 (Land at corner of Church Road and Hobmoor Road) the following Minute of the Public Works & Town Planning Committee, intimating their approval to the transfer of this site to the Bank at the sum of 600, was received:

 

25823. RESOLVED:- That, subject to the approval of the City Council, the transfer of land in Church Road, Yardley, to the Bank Committee, on the terms mentioned in the report of the Town Planning Sub-Committee, be approved, and the Estates Department advised accordingly.

 

3188  RESOLVED:- That Minute No 3152 be continued pending the approval of the Council to the transfer.

 

 

Continued ....
BACK TO THE TOP