Branches
 
 
Branch Index
 
 
Next Branch
 
NW
NE 
 STIRCHLEY
62
10th
1507 Pershore Road, Birmingham B30 2JL
021-458 1328
Y
1923
A part-time evening branch (Mondays; Fridays; Saturdays 18:00 to 19:30) was opened in Stirchley during the Bank's first year of operation. The front portion of a house at 1516 Pershore Road undertook business from December 5th 1919. The tenancy, however, was limited, and upon the owner requiring the premises,  a move was made to the Shirley Street Schools at 1471 Pershore Road on Friday, November 5th 1920. A local savings fund established in connection with the Stirchley Womens' Meeting, and which was under the supervision of the Lady Mayoress (Mrs W A Cadbury), was transferred to the branch. A clerk was sent from Head Office each Monday afternoon to attend at the Stirchley Meeting House in order to assist with the fund's administration.
 
The new location was regarded as temporary, and the Bank took steps in March 1923 to purchase 1505 and 1507 Pershore Road, for 2,800. However, possession could not be obtained of 1505, owing to the operation of the Rent Restriction Act, so a partial reconstruction was planned that would be restricted to 1507. Four tenders were received for this work, ranging from 1,115 to 1,280, all of which were felt to be excessive. Accordingly, the City Surveyor inspected the premises and, after incorporating certain suggestions made by Councillor Appleby, he felt that the alterations could be more expeditiously and economically carried out by the Public Works Department at a cost of 935; further negotiations reduced the cost to 909. Other work was done by Pearce & Cutler (leaded lights: 6); R Hunt (counters: 54); Gas Department (branch heating: 79 and flat lighting 12). This reconstruction was the first to be dealt with by the City Surveyor (H H Humphries) acting as architect for the Bank. The next-door premises at 1505 were found to be in a very bad state of repair, requiring the Bank to carry out some repairs on behalf of the tenant at a cost of 7.
 
The City Surveyor's scheme at Stirchley was designed so that immediately possession was obtained of the London Restaurant operating at 1505, the two premises could be amalgamated. The newly altered premises at 1507 Pershore Road were formally opened on October 29th 1923, by the Deputy Mayor (Alderman W A Cadbury) who deposited 1 to be placed to the credit of the first baby born in the Stirchley district that day. The branch then opened on a daily basis, with standard hours applying.
 
At this time it was the practice for branches to obtain cash, and to deposit excess cash, via branches of the Midland Bank. As there was no branch of the Midland in Stirchley, cumbersome arrangements through the Midland Bank in Selly Oak were put in place. This system required the Stirchley manager to take money to Selly Oak branch after close of business for overnight safe custody. The next morning the manager of Selly Oak branch then banked the cash at the local Midland Bank branch. Early in 1924 arrangements to use a branch of Lloyds Bank in Stirchley were implemented - subsequently, BMB branches used Midland, Lloyds, or Barclays, whichever was most convenient.
 
Mr E H Viney was appointed as manager of the new permanent branch, but on taking up the tenancy of the flat above the newly-built Northfield branch in 1926 he was appointed manager there as the General Manager thought that he "would be conveniently placed for working the Northfield Branch and its three sub-branches .... by being in close proximity than would be the case if a manager from another part of the town was placed there". Mr L A Wright was appointed at Stirchley at a salary of 130 per annum.
 
The 1930 Annual Report stated that the premises at Stirchley are being enlarged. This is when the Bank was able to take possession of the next-door unit that it had owned for some years.
 
In 1959, the Bank sold 353 square yards of land at the rear that formed part of the garden of the flat above the branch for 350 plus costs. The purchaser was the Bank's neighbour, the Ten Acres and Stirchley Co-operative Society Funeral Furnishing Service, who required additional land for the parking of their vehicles, and the erection of a Chapel of Rest.
 
right:
the premises as originally opened as a
permanent branch at
1507 Pershore Road
below (October 29th 1923):
dignitaries assembled for the branch opening ceremony
below:
Interior of the branch in 1923
below:
Stirchley branch after an extension to include 1505 Pershore Road was completed - November 1930.
The new extension is on the right of the photograph
below:
branch interior following the 1930 extension
2009: the premises are now a branch of Lloyds TSB but still retain some of the features of the premises in 1923
At the end of the 19th-century, building development along the Pershore Road from Birmingham via Ten Acres, began to reach the hamlet of Stirchley. This development was to continue towards Cotteridge, supported by the opening of Bournville railway station in 1876, and Cadbury Brothers' factory in 1879. By the commencement of the Second World War, the area was completely built up, including some council housing.
 
(Right: Pershore Road, Stirchley, at the beginning of the 20th-Century. The view is towards Birmingham's city centre - the premises that were later taken over by the Bank as a permanent branch are on the left, and can be identified by the four closely spaced windows at first floor level)
Branch Deposit Balances at March 31st:
1921 - 14,104
1926 - 124,143
1946 - 734,029
1947 - 780,411
 
Number of Open Accounts at March 31st:
1920 - 311
1927 - 4,458
1947 - 6,701 (Savings: 6,632; Mortgage: 69)
 
Average Weekly Transactions:
1920 - 76
1927 - 504
 
Annual Transactions
- Year Ended March 31st 1947: 35,753
 
Home
 
 
Managers:
1926 - E H Viney
1927 - L A Wright
1928 - C Danks
1929 - E J Cope
1930 & 1931 - J A Duff
1934 - W J Woollons
1958 to 1960 - H A Turner
1961 to 1963 - H Wheelock
1965 to 1967 - N Slater
1969 to 1970 - T P Cox
1971 - S W Fairey
1972 - A Green
1976 - R J Fernie
OpenStreetMap contributors
= location of permanent branch at 1507 Pershore Road
= location of Bournville branch
BACK TO THE TOP